Saturday, August 29, 2009

Things I've Learned...

Well, I made it through orientation week of graduate school - now on to classes! It's been a big week both at IU and at DePauw. Seeing everyone at DePauw has brought back memories - good and bad. It's very strange to not see some of the "expected" faces that I've come to know. I guess it just feels very strange to be at DePauw for the first time when there are not any students who were in school at the same time as me - and while I do have friends at DePauw still, it's very strange to know that I've moved and am starting a new part of my life while maintaining this older part. It has been an emotional and exhausting week to say the least. I hope one of two things happen - either I learn how to keep going at this rate and balance everything, or everything just calms down a bit.

There are some things I've learned this week - some serious and some more joking. I list them below.

- Water DOES have a taste. The taste of the water in Bloomington is strange.
- While insects may be an annoyance, and less than desirable, some types really will not bother you.
- Texting is a curse and a gift. I use it to keep in touch with everyone, but there is nothing more annoying than when somebody continuously texts while you are trying to have a serious conversation.
- I'm terrible with names. I've met so many people at IU this week, and only remember 4 names...Emily, Jake, Blake, and Lariche. I apologize to everyone else for not remembering.
- Working in an office where you can be interrupted is far less productive than sitting on my couch and working.
- I remember much more about music theory than history.
- Certain people in your life make a great imprint on you. Those are the people you miss the most, and the ones who you know will still be there for you once the feeling of "missing" has faded.
- A good pair of tennis shoes is a necessity on the IU campus.

It will be quite an adventure the next few years. I miss many people and hope that I will see them all again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Saw you had a blog. Gosh... It has been FOREVER. How is everything? How is life? Bloomington eh? Bloomington is always a fun place! I am so glad you are still doing music. You are so talented and it is just great that you are sharing your love and talent with others. As I write this, memories are flying through my head. Gosh. A few of the memories flying through my mind include my car being too short for you (head through the sunroof), all the skin I showed as you helped me dress for the musical senior year, tears, stories, heart-to-hearts, Chilis, Steak n Shake... blah blah...

    It has been too long. :) Good luck in Bloomington. Again, good for you for using your talents. :)

    ReplyDelete